A report out this week regarding Bali villas says that it is sometimes difficult to choose a holiday destination to please everyone in the family. It may also be hard to choose one to suit yourself, let alone anyone else. If no one in your family can agree about where to travel for the next holiday, here are 8 tips to help.
- Rather than thinking about where to go, start thinking along the lines of what you want to do during the holiday. If you want to lie on warm sand or go surfing, you choice of destination will be limited to places that have great beaches. Not all countries are lucky enough to have them. Make a list of those that do, and eliminated all those you’ve already been to, unless you enjoyed it so much you simply must go back there. But if you feel like that, you wouldn’t be reading this.
- If you are going with friends or family, find out what they want, otherwise the holiday may not be as pleasant as you expected. It’s important to go where everyone can have fun. Get everyone to write down their two or three most important activities to do on holiday. If children are included, make sure the holiday is one where they can do things within their capabilities. Extreme activities like abseiling or parasailing are limited to teens or adults, not little children.
- If you are still having trouble, think about past holidays and what you liked most about them. Also remember those things you hated so you can avoid them in the future.
- Consider your budget. No holiday can be truly successful if you run out of money – during the holiday or afterwards. Responsible budgeting will take care of present and future needs. Remember to take into consideration the exchange rate, which can give you more than you expected in some countries; less in others.
- Take into account your physical limitations. Not everyone is in good health or fit. If you plan to do extreme activities or go on long hikes, make sure everyone is fit enough. Carrying weary children is not the best fun, nor is becoming too exhausted to what you thought would be great from your armchair at home.